Providing Additional Documents
Specific situations require renewal customers to provide supporting documents when completing their renewal process online or in person.
The following situations require supporting documents. When renewing online, you may submit those documents electronically.
- You qualify for an exemption.
- You are renewing registration for a commercial vehicle with a taxable gross weight of 55,000 or more (e.g., trucks, truck tractors, and buses) used on public highways.
- You display a license plate type that requires recertification.
- You are a non-resident working in Montana.
- You are renewing registration of special mobile equipment.
For more information on acceptable documentation, visit dojmt.gov/required-documents.
This service is provided by a third party working in partnership with the State of Montana and an additional fee is assessed for utilizing this service. The service fee includes electronic payment processing fees as well as funds to develop, maintain, and enhance this service. Fees may be paid by credit card or electronic check.