AFCR Alternative Fuel Credit (2020)


You may use this form to claim your Alternative Fuel Credit.


Any individual, corporation, partnership or small business paying taxes in Montana

If an individual or business sells alternative fuel, they cannot receive this credit for converting their own vehicles to the alternative fuel they sell.

Qualifying Expenditures

Equipment and labor costs from converting a motor vehicle licensed in Montana to alternative fuels, such as

  • Natural Gas
  • Liquefied petroleum gas
  • Liquefied natural gas
  • Hydrogen
  • Electricity
  • Any other fuel if it is at least 85% methanol, ethanol or other alcohol, ether, or any combination of them


50% of the equipment or labor costs up to

  • $500 for vehicles less than 10,000 pounds
  • $1000 for vehicles weighing more than 10,000 pounds

Carry Over

The alternative fuel conversion credit cannot be carried forward.

Related Laws

15-30-2320, MCA

15-31-137, MCA