Instructions / Why Apply?

The Montana Department of Transportation, in cooperation with Celtic Systems, developed a new electronic Permitting, Auditing, Registration, and Tax System (ePART). This enhanced permitting system allows users to generate transactions such as oversize and overweight permits, Single Trip, and Term (Annual) permits, Custom Combine permits, and GVW fees. These services enable the user to self-issue most permits 24 hours-a-day, 7 days-a-week. Additionally, users may report and renew International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA) and International Registration Plan (IRP) transactions. The system includes the ability to pay online through a secure system (fees may vary).

Would you like to see how this service works? Try the demo.

To use the ePART System, you must have a computer with access to the Internet. Online transactions may be paid with an Electronic Check or any major credit card. At no charge, the Motor Carrier Services Division (MCS) will establish your account and security profile giving you access to the system. The highest level of Internet security has been established to ensure transactions remain confidential and only MCS designated employees, your designated employees, or your designated third-party have access. You will set your own password that provides access to only your account.

After the information you have submitted on your application is verified by MCS Security Personnel, your account will be set up (if not already in existence) and the user will receive an email with the User ID and password. Please contact our office at 406-444-7638 if you have any questions.

If you answer yes to any of the following, you may wish to complete this application. (Completing the application does not obligate you in any way and does not ensure that you will receive an online account).

  • I sometimes find that I have to delay moving an oversize or overweight load until regular business hours because I do not have the necessary permits;
  • I regularly pay GVW fees and find that the current method of doing business is inconvenient and occasionally causes my operation to experience travel delays;
  • I have a small operation and want to maximize efficiency and minimize "down-time;" or,
  • I have an IBM compatible PC with access to the Internet and wish to go online to self-issue oversize/overweight permits or pay my GVW fees.

If you wish to apply for Internet Permitting service simply click the "Home" button at the top of the page, then from the home page click the "Apply Now" button.